Thursday, October 06, 2016

September 2016...

September was a decent month. My net worth improved by almost $3M.

I have been able to pay off $14K year to date. I plan to have Private Loan #4 paid off by the end of November and Private Loan #5 by end of year with my annual bonus.

Shout out and Thanks to Dreamchaser for reading my blog and for leaving a comment. I am putting together another post that will give some detail on the debt journey since graduating from law school. =)

Monday, September 12, 2016

Daily Dollar App...

Found this cute app over the weekend called Spend Today and it's based on the daily dollar method. You get a certain amount of money for the month divided into days. If you spend less than the daily allotment, you have more to spend the next day, week, etc. If you overspend, then you're borrowing from the next day, week, etc. This was my warning message from yesterday evening. Needless to say, it persuaded me from spending any money today which wasn't too hard since I work from home on Mondays. 😂 Looks like I may be on leftovers for the week too! 😂

Sunday, September 04, 2016

August 2016...

My Net Worth bounced back in August after the car purchase!

My 401k broke the six figure mark for the first time! Yeah! Progress! I continue to contribute 5% to my 401k for the company match. The Bank suspended our pension plan this year and will start to contribute an additional 2% to our 401k for a total of 7%. I enrolled in the 401k program that will automatically increase my personal contribution rate by 1% annually. So next year, I will contribute 6% and the company will contribute 7% for a total of 13% or approximately $16k annually in contributions.

I am still very focused. I also contribute 15% to the Employee Share Purchase Plan (ESPP) where I am able to buy company stock at a 15% discount. By the end of the year, Private Loan #4 and Private Loan #5 will be paid off and my goal is to have at least $30k in savings. What I report below is the stock value at cost but the market value will be close to $29k by the end of September with another quarter left in the year.

I am on track! Things are still up in the air on where I will be living next year. Will I move back to the condo,stay here with my parents or move to Ohio or even Maryland?!?! CJ just took on a sales position in OH and he is doing really well. I am also doing well in Chicago but there is so much violence happening in Chicago that I am more open than ever to relocating. So, we still have to figure out how to get to the same city. I am more flexible and have the ability to work remotely and a boss that is supportive. So, we'll see.

My tenant signed on for another year so I am good to go until August/September of next year. I am so thankful for a good tenant!

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

July 2016....

July was a really good but busy month. It started out with a solo trip to Mexico and followed immediately with a new car purchase. A few days after I returned from Cancun, my 14-year old car essentially said ENOUGH! I knew it was only a matter of time and I am thankful for the years my car rolled with me! Literally!

July was a decent month. The biggest change was in my Net Worth with the new car purchase. The value of the car drops immediately when you drive off the lot. I love my new car and it has already taken me to Ohio once for my family reunion and to visit CJ. I will be riding back to Ohio to work there for a week again in September. The increase in liabilities was partially offset by gains in my retirement account.

Overall, not a bad month. I am working to adjust the budget to account for the new car payment. I wanted to get the car now and get acclimated to the payment vs. moving back into my condo next year and taking back on the housing payments and new car payment at the same time. It all worked out from a timing perspective.

My Goal is still to pay off a minimum of $30k in debt this year and to pay off Private Loan #4 and Private Loan #5!

June 2016....

June was a good month. I snowballed $2,400 for May and June and my net worth improved slightly.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

So Much Change...

Y'all it's been world wind of a few weeks. I took my second solo vacation out of the county to Rivera Maya Cancun earlier this month. CJ couldn't get away from work and I needed to get away. Loved it!!! I am completely sun-kissed! 😘 I stayed at Secrets Playa Mujeres which was all-adult resort and completely amaze-balls!!! Good food, sun and beach! Love!!! ☀️☀️☀️

Less than a week after returning from vacation, I had to finally say Goodbye to my car of 14 years...The Green Machine!!! It served me well considering it had major rust corrosion and was welded together in so many places. This car's engine and transmission were still going strong but things kept breaking off underneath and I needed a set of new tires before Winter. With one more year at home, I decided it was time to get another vehicle that I can ride for another 14 years!!! LOL I'm happy and I was more than ready! My new car is a Nissan Murano SUV and I love it! It's sporty and fun, just like me! 👍🏾

I got my first real haircut too!!! It's super fly! Lots and lots of curly layers!!! I'm so happy and I didn't need to fly to LA or NYC to get a deva cut! I found a salon specializing in curly hair on the North Side of Chicago! Thank goodness for Instagram!!! My Sis found the salon and stylist for me!!! 

I'll definitely have to change up the budget to fit in the new car note but I have a year to get used to the new payment and get ready for the move back home. 

I am on target to have all but one private loan paid off by the time I move back to the condo in September of 2017, a minimum of $40k in savings and just over $100k in retirement balances. The last private loan will be paid off in December of next year with my annual bonus and I would have paid off just over $100k in student loan debt!!! Oh yeah!!! This move home with my folks was an absolute life saver!!!

Friday, June 24, 2016

May 2016...

Sorry this is a late post. June is almost over already. I have been so busy!

May was a decent month. I did not snowball the extra $1,200 in May but I did snowball $2,400 in June so that extra reduction will show next month. Making good progress through the year and credit score remains strong. 

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

April 2016...

April was a decent month. My net worth continued to improve and is heading in the right direction towards positive territory! I am ecstatic with the progress!

My tenants have been wonderful over at the condo and they keep the place in immaculate condition. Unfortunately, they are divorcing and I am not sure if the wife will renew the lease. Her daughter is enrolled in the local high school which is one of the best in the area so I know she would like to stay. I am just not sure if she can afford the rent on her own. She has until July 1st to let me know if she would like to extend the lease. I currently rent it for $1,600/month. I would be willing to go down to $1,300/month if she wanted to stay for another year. My plan is to reach out to her in the next couple of weeks.

I would like to stay at home with my parents for one more year and then move back to the condo next September. CJ is working on his move to Chicago and we'll be in the same city soon. I am more inclined to abate the rent with the current tenants over the next year because it's only one year away, the current tenants take such good care of the unit, get along with the neighbors and it would cost me about $2,000-$3,000 to relist the condo and get it ready for a new tenant.

I'll keep you posted! Fingers crossed!