Thursday, February 01, 2007

Job Search Update and Networking…

As many of you know, I will be graduating from law school in May. Since I am a full-time employee and part-time student, I did not have the benefit of becoming a summer associate. Many top/large law firms hire from their summer programs and there may be opportunities for lateral candidates but the positions generally require a specific amount of direct legal experience.

Since last August, I have been interviewing and networking to find a law position for the Fall. I’ve met with Judges, partners at law firms and associates. I even spoke to other attorneys in non-traditional legal environments, such as investment banking firms. It’s been an amazing experience and I love the chance to meet new people and make lasting contacts.

It’s my hope that through networking, when a position becomes available, someone will keep me in mind and refer me for the position. While networking is time consuming, I can only appreciate these people for taking time out of their busy days to lend me a helping hand. Once I become an attorney and I get into a position where I can reach back and help other new attorneys, I will be delighted to help because I will remember the grind of these days for the rest of my life.

Nothing you want generally comes easy. You have to work hard and not be afraid to ask for help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chitown

i will you well with your search for a legal position, but its a highly competitive industry and the market is saturated, too many law graduates not enough jobs, what starting salary do you hope to get with your first legal position?

Chitown said...

Hi Claire!

Thanks for reading.

Yes, the market for law students is very saturated. Unfortunately and fortunately, the market for African American attorneys is not. We are actually very underrepresented in the legal marketplace. This was part of my original motivation for going to law school.

I was hoping to receive a position that paid no less than $90k per year but I am prepared to start lower if the position has salary and job growth potential.

I am more than willing to work my way up. I just need the opportunity to get the experience and prove myself.