Monday, April 04, 2011

I'm Alive...

Hi All!!! I am alive and well. I took some time to reevaluate some things and try to get my mind right. I fell off the financial wagon so to speak in March and I wasn't pleased with a lot of things including my health. So, I made a few adjustments but mostly to my mental.

March was a particularly hard month financially because I finally got through all of the birthdays and there was 35 days between pay cycles. It just got harder to budget with birthdays and large expenses to pay. I was transferring money here, there and everywhere and eventually just gave up control. I will post March's recap soon as well as my weekly results for the past couple of weeks.

I've been an athlete my entire life. I played softball since age 8 and earned a full ride scholarship to a Big Ten school. Since graduating in 2000, I joined Corporate America, got used to my sedentary and lazy lifestyle and my muscles slowly but surely got mushy. Now, if I hadn't been an athlete my entire life, I would be at least 250 lbs by now with the way that I eat.

So after feeling a bit down and having zero energy to get through the day, I made a decision to join Weight Watchers, run the Chicago Half Marathon in September and continue playing coed slow pitch softball every Saturday. With running and softball, I am sure to get back in tip top shape.

I joined Weight Watchers Online last week to help me get a grasp of my eating. Jennifer Hudson was a huge inspiration. I have always been a size 12 thinking I could never be an 8 or 6. But Jennifer did it and surely I can do it too. I started at 180lbs and a size 12 and I have a goal of losing 40 lbs. (I know...that's a lot right?!?!?) Even in my most tip top shape as a collegiate athlete, I never weighed less than 160...just solid muscle but my body composition has changed over the years and I believe the goal can be accomplished. Week one is hardly over and I have already lost 6 lbs and my energy level is much higher.

The transition from need vs want and getting more bang for my points has translated a little into my finances. All week long I have been asking myself, is this a need or a want? If I don't spend money on this trip through some fast food line, then I can more bang for my buck buying workout clothes that I need. It seems to be working. We'll see.

More to come...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WCB,

Welcome back! I am glad you are still blogging and are still tracking your expenses (even though it sounds like it has been a tough patch!).

Keep on blogging, things don't change overnight. Finances are like a marathon.

I particularly like the use of the idea of getting the most bang for your buck. Do you really want a $10 McMeal, or would you rather eat an apple and yogurt you brought with you to work, and spend the $10 on quality socks? as an example.

It is about spending money of the things that are of value to you.

Keep in up!

Kris

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you. Looks like you are going to have a fun filled spring & summer. I am also training for a half-marathon. Keep us posted on your progress.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic goals! Good luck with the weight loss. I'm a short gal who currently weights 155. I should weigh 125 to 130, optimally. It's hard but I bet we can do it!