Friday, February 18, 2011

$200 Weekly Challenge...

Today is Friday and a new $200/week challenge begins. Thank goodness because I blew it last week.

Here is last week's recap....Total Spent: $467.74!!!


There isn't a lot of commentary to add other than what I learned last week.

  1. I am an emotional shopper. This isn't a big news flash but I was sick last week and I just didn't care enough when I should always care more.
  2. I didn't plan to be away from home and I was for a few days which means I didn't make or take my lunch with all of groceries that I purchased.
  3. I have to slow down and remember the framework I put in place. I have savings set aside for clothing and gifts. So, I have to remain present in the moment, transfer the funds on my phone, and pay with the right debit card.
  4. I need to only purchase what I NEED at the grocery store. I need to make a list for the week and stick to the list. I got into the store and it was the first time I was out of the house for days and I just wandered around and picked up stuff that I probably won't use for weeks to come. Since I am a single gal, I only need to buy what I need for the week and that's it. It should hardly ever amount to more than $25-$50/week and the high end only if I need toiletries.

I was reading this month's O Magazine issue and it deals with De-Cluttering your life. The particular article was called "The Buying Diet" and it mentioned the grocery store Gruen Transfer where the store creates a quasi hypnotic state and you end up buying more than you intended. Check out the article. It was good and eye opening. The Buying Diet.

3 comments:

Theresa d said...

That is a huge amount to overspend. Over $200 in groceries AND $150 in dining out? Where is it going to come from? Are you taking a lot less this week?

Chitown said...

Yes, I agree. I bought groceries and cooked just one day the entire week.

The money came from non-emergency personal savings.

Sofia Britts said...

I think you lack focus on your goal. It seems that you are so distracted by the things that seems tempting to you. What you need is self-motivation. Why don't you do it this way, have only $200 in your wallet and do not bring your ATM as you go out so that you will achieve your $200 weekly challenge. My sister also did the same only that her goal was to lose weight and pay her loan. Every payday, she budgets her money as tight as possible to meet both ends and to reach her goals. She was very determined and one day she walked in their company feeling very light and sexy and ALMOST debt-free.