Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Dell Computer Died…

My Dell computer died last Thursday. It’s 4 years old and has been falling apart for quite some time. Unfortunately, it happened at the worst possible time because finals are this week and next week. I looked online to see if I can purchase another one but the estimated delivery date is May 22nd. I would have already graduated by then.

Fortunately, I called Dell and I literally had 30 days remaining on my 4 year warrantee that I purchased. They sent someone out today to fix it while I was at work. Thank goodness my father is retired and he was able to be home for the service call. I think they replaced the motherboard (whatever that means). Hopefully, my files will still be on my computer.

The bright side? About 5 minutes before it died and wouldn’t turn back on, I was able to e-mail all of my class notes and financial spreadsheets with the exception of a recent Quicken backup. I backed up my important files about a month ago but hadn’t backed them up in a few weeks so I may be SOL when it comes to that. The most important thing is that I have my class notes and I am going to be able to study for my exams.

The bad side? I will need to fork over some cash for a new computer in the near future.

4 comments:

mapgirl said...

Oh that stinks. Lucky you had the foresight to back up your data before it crashed completely. Smart girl! I wish more users were like you.

Next time, you might want to also get something like GHOST, to 'image' your configuration. It helps A LOT with recovery.

Tired of being broke said...

Most people that I know who have Dell computers, including myself had their computers die on them right before the warranty expired. My Dell which I still have died on me a week before the warranty expired.

Chitown said...

I smell a conspiracy...lol

Chitown said...

Thanks for the advice Mapgirl. I have to admit that I'm not very computer savvy so I have no idea what Ghost is but I will ask someone. =)