Monday, May 21, 2007

Law School Graduation…

The Commencement Ceremony on Sunday was excellent, short and sweet. I am so happy and extremely grateful that my close family members and friends were able to come and celebrate with me. My family means a lot to me if it weren’t for them, all the struggle wouldn’t be worth it. But, I am a believer that every generation is supposed to get stronger.

As the daughter of a retired (soon-to-be) school teacher and truck driver, the sacrifices that they made for me will be worth it in the end. I hope to make them very proud. As an African American woman, I strive to set a good and positive example for those around me. I am determined to find a law position where I am able to earn a competitive salary and one that will afford me the opportunity to mentor young people and provide valuable community service via pro bono work. I know that it will always be a challenge to find time but if it’s important, I will find the time.

For the past 4 years, I’ve worked full-time in a Banking Financial Analyst position while attending law school part-time. Classes were generally four nights a week from 6-9:30pm. Then, I would make a 1-hour commute home to do it all over again the next day. To say that the last 4 years has been tough would be an understatement but I hope it will be worth it in the end. One thing is for sure, I am no stranger to hard work. =) I am preparing for the IL Bar Exam now and will take the exam the last week in July.

As for my finances, I filled out a forbearance form for my student loans to give me a reprieve until I am able to secure a law position. According to my student loan website, it appears as though I was approved because it now reports that my first payment that was due 6/1/2007 is now due 6/1/2008. I am in the process of simplifying everything and separating long-term savings from emergency funds.

My goal for the remainder of the year is to improve my net worth to under (-$80k) and double my $55k salary. I will be happy if my salary increases to a minimum of $85k.

4 comments:

Single Ma said...

CONGRATS!! That's a HUGE accomplishment. I know your parents are beaming with pride. :-)

Watch out now, positive net worth, here she comes! LOL

Chitown said...

Thanks Single Ma!

I cannot wait for my net worth to improve. I am really committed to turning everything around. =)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Mine is coming up soon. Weird to think that I won't be going back to school...at least not yet!

mapgirl said...

WOW! Congratulations! I didn't realize you were doing school part-time. That's amazing! Good for you!