Monday, October 23, 2006

New WaMu Account…

Jonathan over at MyMoneyBlog gave a review of his experience with Washington Mutual’s new Free Checking and 5% APY Online Savings Account. You can check it out here.

Working downtown in Chicago, there are a lot of WaMu braches and there are several that are near my home outside of the city. Like all other online savings account, the APY is subject to change but the account is fee free and I am able to access my funds a lot easier because there are so many braches nearby. I am going to probably switch to using this rather than HSBC but I will see how I like the account first.

Some other benefits…

The WaMu Free Checking account has:
  • No minimum balance or direct deposit requirements
  • Open with $1- Free basic checks for life
  • No ATM fees on their end
  • Free Gold Debit MasterCard® with Rewards—earn cash back on purchases!
  • One free overdraft per year- Free outgoing wire transfers

The Statement Savings account has:

  • A competitive 5.00% APY on all balances (rate only available online)
  • No minimum balance requirements
  • Open with $1- Instant transfer to/from the Free Checking
*** The process of opening the account was so easy and smooth. Very pleased so far.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just got a WaMu account as-well,
and found out that if I use it at www.shop.com/wamu I could get 10% off I ended up getting some shoes that were on sale. Also it worked with their free shipping, so in all with my new WaMu card I saved about $30.00.
My suggestion is to definitely check it out.

Anonymous said...

The WAMU online promotion was a scam, and alot of loyal WAMU customers who switched over to get the 5% apy rate are going to be shocked when they see the interest rate has dropped down to .25%!!!!
If you're a longtime customer like me let them know this is unacceptable
business. I fully expect a credit based on what my Plat acct would have accrued this month or I'm leaving WAMU.

Chitown said...

Not sure if this anonymous poster is right but if so...That sucks!!! I will post soon after a little investigation.

Chitown said...

I just checked and my WAMU account STILL has a 5% annual interest rate and I just transferred another $100. Not sure if the anonymous poster set up the account incorrectly. I will keep everyone posted to make sure there are any changed to report. Thanks for checking in!!!