Sunday, August 27, 2006

Back from Ohio...

My interview in Ohio went well....Okay. Basically the firm looked interested in hiring me into their Summer Associate program but only if I could then go on and clerk for the next year until I took the bar exam the following July in 2008. As it stands, I was already prepared to take the bar exam in July of 2007 and was looking for an entry level associate position to commence in the Fall of 2007.

The way a lot of mid-size/large law firms work, is that they hire so many law students to become summer associates at their firm during the summer. If the law student performs well and demonstrates the potential to be a solid attorney, then they are extended a job offer to join the firm after taking the bar exam.

Unfortunately for me, I never completed a summer associate position because I was a full-time worker and part-time student. I am regretting that decision right now but it was never a given that I would have been extended an offer for a summer associate position. Now, I am working to secure a job for next year.

One thing that I am very willing to do since I am not nearing the end of law school and a career change, is to leave my current employment situation and complete a summer associate position if the firm would also allow me to clerk in their offices during the next year. I may be able to secure a judicial clerkship as well.

So much to decide...so much hustling...but anything worth having, is worth working for.

No comments: