Thursday, October 04, 2007

Christmas Update…

I just got a comment from a reader telling me that it was crazy to spend $1,000 on Christmas when I am in so much debt. I just smiled/half laughed thinking…Get out of my head! It’s funny sometimes when you feel like someone else is reading your thoughts. Needless to say, I feel the same way about my debt and about Christmas. I agree wholeheartedly. There is no rhyme or reason for me to be spending that kind of money when I have so much debt.

On Monday while my family was gathered for my cousin’s birthday, we discussed Christmas. Everyone is on the same page that this is the year that we need to be more practical. We decided to just all come together for a nice family meal without the pressure and financial strain of gift giving. The only gifts we are going to buy are for my 5-year old cousin who is really the only child in the family. That would come to about $50 for me.

I still haven’t talked with my boyfriend about Christmas but I am sure that he will be on the same page as well. So, my goal right now is to spend no more than $500 on Christmas and to cut costs whenever possible to reduce that figure even further.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you are heading in the right direction. My family only purchases items for my two nephews and my girlfriends nieces and nephews. It is a hard adjustment, but just wait until you pay off all of your debt, then you can spoil everyone!!

Lilo said...

Hey. I found your blog a few days back and I like it. I am new to this, but I am starting my own money blog too.

Chitown said...

Good luck Last In Line!!!

Thank you for coming by!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. My family and I stopped exchanging gifts a few years ago. We decided it was more of a priority to gather around each other than exchange gifts. My parents still get gifts for the kids in the family though. I don't. Hate one if you must, but I won't feel bad. :-D While I am not religious, I appreciate the spirit of giving and being around the people you love and care about. So in that vein, I'm going to love being in the company of my family while I donate money to charity. Just works for me. :)