Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Irregular expenses…

I received my final medical bill yesterday for a surgery that I had in 2005. My doctor’s office neglected to bill my insurance carrier who is now refusing to pay the bill. So, that’s $240 that will have to be paid out of my emergency fund.

In addition, I need a new tire for my car which will run me another $200. Over the weekend, my Dad noticed a bubble on the side of my tire. This time last year, I replaced all 4 tires to the tune of almost $800 so I am not pleased with having to replace another so soon. The woman at the repair center said that the bubble is the result of impact. I am going to call the service place later to make sure that it’s not covered under warranty.

So, more money goes down the drain and out of my savings account in a matter of a week. I decided on $2,000 for an emergency fund versus $1,000 because since I loved into my condo, the irregular expenses such as repairs, etc. have ranged from small amounts to as large as $800. With very little extra money to rebuild the emergency fund, I need a buffer in case another $800 repair comes along.

Significant expenses in the last 4 years (estimates):

$600 – new water heater
$750 – small fire in the electrical/circuit box
$800 – new tires
$800 – car repair

5 comments:

Single Ma said...

Dangit, $800 for tires! What kind of car do you drive?

Irregular expenses are hard to track. I try to budget for them every month, whether they occur or not, but I always end up spending it on something else.

Lilo said...

$800! wow. I am so glad I don't need a car.

SavingDiva said...

$800 is a lot for tires! I just purchase 4 new tires for a little over $400...

Chitown said...

I thought the same thing SavingDiva but in Chicago with the crazy winter weather, you need really good tires to be safe. At the time, I was driving almost 100 miles 4 days a week to work.

Sick of Debt said...

I'd recommend trying to settle for 50% with the Dr's office since they didn't submit the claims properly. Can't hurt to ask?