Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Graduation Gift…

My mom informed me over the weekend that she and my dad are giving me $2,000 as a graduation gift. They wanted to get me something special but I couldn’t think of anything that I wanted real bad other than a living room set. That is something that I will purchase myself down the line because I know it is going to cost a pretty penny and I didn’t want them to break the bank just to make me happy. My futon in the living room will just have to do for now.

I am very grateful but surprised at the amount of the gift. I knew they wanted to do something but I also knew that my mom recently retired from teaching in May and my dad retired last year. Plus, my sister got married this year. Now that they are on a fixed income, big spending is not allowed.

My mom is the first to graduate from college in our family. She was a teacher and my dad was a truck driver for over 30 years. They don’t have a lot by the way of liquid assets and I won’t be inheriting a large portfolio. But what they have given me my entire life is so much love, support and encouragement. They are my best friends and the best parents a girl could be blessed with. Some kids can’t wait to grow up and leave the nest but I still call and talk to my parents every day and visit several times a week. There is nothing like family. One of best by products of going to law school is that I value my family a lot more. I could not have made it through the last 4 years without them and without them, all the money and the degrees in the world wouldn’t mean anything.

Thanks Mom & Dad! You are going to bless me with my new $2k emergency fund. =)

5 comments:

Single Ma said...

Awwww...:-)

I'm tearing up over here. I want my daughter to think/feel the same way about me when she's your age. Mom & Dad did a wonderful job.

Chitown said...

Thank you Single Ma!

Ms. M&P said...

Your mom and dad sound amazing. That's really humbling...

Dimples said...

Girl, ain't God good. Blessed you with wonderful parents. And I am so proud of you using that money towards your Emergency Fund. That was definitely a smart move. Keep it up. See how things are changing for the better??

Anonymous said...

there's something about accomplishing a major life-changing thing that makes you realize how awesome your family is for making it possible. my parents are like yours - awesome!