Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Smaller Paycheck…

Getting paid once a month can be a challenge especially when you are swamped with debt. In August, I took 4 days unpaid to attend my sister’s wedding and I am not sure when I am going to get hit with a lower paycheck. I entered the days into the computerized system at work but it has yet to impact my paycheck. After taxes, 401k, insurance, etc., my take home pay totals approximately $3,100. Assuming that I bring in $2,800 this month, here is how I will handle my cash flow.

$2,800 – income

(875) – mortgage
(225) – assessments
(340) – SBC/Security (cell, cable, internet, phone, brinks)
(140) – electric bill (need to call and see why it’s so high)
(100) – car insurance
(220) – commuting
(200) – personal care (hair)
(350) – credit card min
(100) – groceries

$ 250 – remaining

Living single is hard and my mortgage outside of Chicago for a three bedroom condo is cheap compared to what it would cost to live in the City. Even rental prices can be what I currently pay so I am careful to do everything that I can to remain where I am for the foreseeable future. With the remaining $250, I am going to try my best to spend as little as possible. Anything remaining at the end of the month will go towards debt repayment. If my paycheck is the full $3,100, then I will put an extra $200-$300 towards my credit card debt.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you spend $200 per month on your hair? You're making me feel like a total hag.

Chitown said...

LOL...I am African American but I actually have thinner/curly hair due to genetics.

Unfortunately, last year it began to thin even more and shed with all the stress of law school and my finances. So I needed some extra TLC which also took the stress off me to do it myself which took hours I didn't really have to spend on my hair.