Thursday, February 25, 2010

I Need a Vacation…

Oh my goodness, Chitown needs a vacation. I cannot take it any longer. I haven’t gone on a vacation since I went to Jamaica with my Mom in July 2008. I am slowing losing my sanity.

My finances are in the toilet…Well not really. Everything is paid and on time but it seems like I live just to work and pay bills these days…Enough said.

Last year in June, my Dad suffered a massive heart attack and was literally on life support for 48 hours. Miraculously he is doing much better and cannot wait to golf this Summer.

My grandmother developed a severe case of Alzheimers and the disease is progressing very quickly. She lives with my parents and just woke up one day in October and started the most bizarre behavior. Since she is the oldest living person in our family at 87, we didn’t recognize the early signs like hiding things.

My Mom is having a hard time caring for her because it is a full time job. She is torn about putting her into a Home because she loves her so much but she is not trained to handle her care. The nice homes cost a fortune and I feel guilty about not being in a position to help out with the cost. We won’t just put here any where because the place is affordable. She is loved more than you can imagine and we have to know she will be tenderly cared for as if she was at home. Her social security and pension is minimal so the family would need to supplement the cost.

My parents are retired and my Mom takes care of my Grandma full time. My Dad works part-time just to pay for his health insurance which is almost $1,300 for the two of them. Ridiculous. With being on a fixed income and the increase in medical expenses from my Dad's heart attack, my parents don’t have a lot of extra money.

These are just more factors that fuel my fire to find a better paying position.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandma. I hope your family can find an ideal place for her. Try not to feel guilty for not being able to take care of her at home.

Unknown said...

Chitown,

You and your family are certainly in my prayers. My Papa had alzheimer's and it was so difficult for my granny to take care of him. One day my uncle was watching him and while he was in the bathroom, Papa got up and left the house, and was found wandering on the highway by the cops. Thank god they live in a small town and the cop knew him and brought him home. And thank god Papa was a WWII vet and the VA took care of him for 7 years until he passed.

Just be as supportive as you can of your parents right now. Soon you'll be able to contribute more, but right now, even if it's just your time or your ear, it helps to have someone to talk to. And your father has my best wishes for a continued speedy recovery, so he can get back to his golf game!

Chitown said...

Thanks Guys!!!

I really appreciate the comments.

Anonymous said...

Building a solid foundation takes time and patience. One day you will be in the position to help more financially, but now you can only give what you have.

Check out the 4th response (by stealthbucks) to this guys question. It is a different perspective. https://www.networthiq.com/people/Bass/questions/becoming-a-tortoise-how-to-slow-mind-down