Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Financial Strategizing…

Now that law school is over and I will no longer incur additional education debt, I am finally on the road to financial freedom. Therefore, I need to strategize to figure out the right moves to make. I put it off for a while due to the uncertainty in my job situation with finishing law school and trying to find a new position. While I may not have a law position yet, I am still working as a financial analyst making a decent salary. Therefore, until things change on the job front, I have to proceed in the best fashion with my current $55k salary.

I am not going to make excuses for myself. I am in poor financial condition because I made bad financial and spending choices. Period! Four years ago, I bought a condo that I could barely afford with no reserves, 80/20 (100%) financing, $10k in credit card debt, and $25k in auto debt. During the last four years, I used debt to support a lifestyle that I could not truly afford and it slowly mounted.

So, here I am. I have a negative net worth of approximately (-$91,000), $207,000 in student loans to repay and $16,100 remaining on a credit card that I refinanced the 20% mortgage financing over to. With Christmas around the corner and repayment on my student loans looming, I have to figure things out. So…What now?


Current Financial Condition:

  • $16k in credit card debt at 3.99% fixed for life of balance
  • $207k in student loan debt – not in repayment at this time
  • Emergency Fund: $10,000
  • Current Action Plan:

  • Contribute 5% to 401(k) plan to get 100% employer match for 10% total
  • Contribute 2% after tax in my employer’s stock purchase plan
  • Removed credit cards from my wallet – use only cash and debit
  • Minimum payment on Credit Card is approx. $350 - $300 goes to principal
  • Student loans are still in deferment with half my federal loans in forbearance
  • Future Liquidity Events:

  • Bonus in 2/2008 expected at $3k
  • Tax return in 2/2008 expected at $2k
  • Scenario #1: Deplete Savings, payoff ccard, snowball student loans

  • Continue using only cash and debit cards for spending
  • Continue 5% 401(k) contributions for 100% employer match and 10% total
  • Stop 2% contribution to employer’s stock purchase plan
  • Defer fed student loans that enter repayment 1/2008 until 1/2009
  • Pay off credit card balance before private loans enter repayment in 4/2008
  • Use $8,000 of my emergency fund and reduce credit card balance to $8,000
  • Increase cc payment to $600 to reduce cc balance to $4,600 by 4/2008
  • Use $5,000 in bonus/tax return money to pay off $4,600 cc balance
  • Tweak Christmas budget and use $1,000 for Christmas gifts
  • Keep $1,000 as Emergency Fund
  • Snowball remaining student loans
  • Scenario #2: Deplete Savings, Min on CCard, payoff 2 student loans, snowball remaining student loans

  • Continue using only cash and debit cards for spending
  • Continue 5% 401(k) contributions for 100% employer match and 10% total
  • Stop 2% contribution to employer’s stock purchase plan
  • Defer fed student loans that enter repayment 1/2008 until 1/2009
  • Pay $300 on my credit card until the balance is $0 - payoff in 5 years
  • Use $8,000 of savings and payoff two smallest student loans
  • Tweak Christmas budget and use $1,000 for Christmas gifts
  • Keep $1,000 as Emergency Fund
  • Snowball remaining student loans
  • Comments:

    I am leaning towards scenario #2. For one, my student loans have a higher interest rate than my credit card at 3.99% fixed. The downfall to scenario #1 is that my credit card still has a pretty high monthly payment which if eliminated, can go towards repayment of my student loans. While both plans are tough, they can be done. I may have to tweak credit card payments here and there due to irregular expenses like the occasional birthday gift (cheaper now of course), the quarterly water bill or license plate renewals. The tough part is the psychological part of not having savings at my fingertips. On the other hand, that may not be a bad thing because with a cash/debit only system, I will be less tempted to spend and spend big. I may even be forced to make a few lunches.

    I get paid once a month. Here is what I am going to do for October.

  • Send credit card $600
  • Move $8,000 into second high yield savings account
  • Keep $2,000 in emergency fund and use $1,000 for Christmas
  • Stop 2% employee share contributions
  • Continue applying for law positions
  • 4 comments:

    Escape Brooklyn said...

    You've thought of some smart options and I admire your motivation in the face of student loan debt! It will go down...eventually. At least that's what I tell myself as I pay down my own student loans.

    I thought scenario #1 was better until I read your student loans had a higher interest rate than the 3.99% credit card rate, so I agree that sounds like the right plan.

    You've probably read this before, but you're getting a lot of money back in a tax refund. Can you adjust your withholdings so you see more of that in your paychecks? $2k/year would be an extra $166.66/month that could theoretically be added to your high interest debt repayment, versus "loaning" it to the government interest-free until tax time.

    Chitown said...

    Thanks for reading such a long post Escape Brooklyn!

    I defintely need to change my withholdings. For the past several years, I've gotten back around $3,000.

    Starting next year, I am going to make the change and see where I come out in the end.

    Dimples said...

    I like scenario #1 better. how much of a difference is there between the rate on your credit cards vs that on your student loans? Is the difference large enough to make an impression on your total debt? I would pay off your credit cards and get that out the way. Especially if you can get it done by April 2008. It will also give you a boost of confidence seeing that debt go away. Then you can tackle the student loan debt with all you have. Also read up on how the student loan game goes. I was making more than the monthly payment to my loan and yet it wasn't being applied to my principle. I called and found out that you need to specify what you want them to do with the $$ when you send in an extra payment. If you don't they actually take that money and apply it to the interest. Aint that something?

    I hope you can get a very good and high paying position in one of the law offices you apply to. Then that extra income will beat that student loan down good.

    Good luck!

    Anonymous said...

    Hmmm... both scenarios offer intersting options. From personal experience, pay off credit card & private loan debt first. Don't entirely deplete your emergency savings--this economy is absolutely awful, so don't screw yourself after you've worked so hard. Think you can't go through your whole emergency savings... guess, again, I did. Faster than I ever would've dreamed! Also, from personal experience, unless that fixed rate is written into the terms of the credit card itself (& even then it is subject to change)-- you're a lawyer now, nothing is forever especially in this economy. Good luck!
    P.S. Why aren't you working as a lawyer...or are you job hunting?