Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Transfer Fee and Poor Customer Service…

I looked up my CC account this morning and what do you know…a $75 balance transfer fee appears after I was told that it would be WAIVED! So I promptly called my CC company and was placed on hold for a good 5 minutes only to get the most RUDE customer service representative.

I told the woman that I initiated a balance transfer last week and was told by the account representative that the fee would be waived. She tells me that it wasn’t noted on my account and that I would be responsible for the fee. I told her NO I am not because I was told that the fee would be waived if I transferred the balance that day. Not only did I do this but I had the woman repeat it like 5 times that there would be no fee.

So once again the woman today tells me that I am responsible for the fee and once again I tell her NO I AM NOT. Then I ask her to let me speak to her supervisor and she promptly tells me…Thank you for calling “cc company and have a great day” without transferring me to a supervisor and then hanging up on me.

Okay I am at work so I need to take a DEEP BREATH and call the CC company back tonight when 1) I get home, 2) after I’ve calmed down and 3) so no other person can hear how annoyed I am right now.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bet I can guess which CC company. Does it rhyme with "Base"?

Same thing happened to me. I also had the first person confirm repeatedly that there will be no balance transfer fee. I got it reversed, you will too. Sorry to hear about the experience.

Chitown said...

Actually guys...it was MBNA!!!

Mountain Girl said...

Oooh! That kind of treatment makes me angry. Why do cc company representatives speak to customers like they are doing us some big favor. We are the customer! Do not let their sneaky tricks slide, Chitown!

Anonymous said...

I have an MBNA card and they put me through hell a few years back. They've been playing nice nice ever since when I threatened to write a story about them for the L.A. Times (I was an intern there... like I really had clout!). They've raised my limit thousands of dollars in the past year because I had stopped using the card.
They miss me paying them a fortune in finance charges.

Anonymous said...

What! Boy those CC people are CRAZY! Be persistente (as I am sure you will be) and you'll get what you want.--CollegeGrad

Rex said...

Kick Butt and Take Names! Well mostly take names. It is a habit now for me. Whenever you taalk to the cc companies make sure you write down:

Person/people:
Time of Call:
Reason for Call:
Outcome:

When you then call and say I spoke with Kenneth on Friday May 12th at 1:23pm and he told me blah, blah, blah then they respond pretty quickly. If not tell them to check their tapes, since they are always claiming to record calls for customer satisfaction. If that does not work speak to a higher up. Still not working, take them to small claims court :)

Chitown said...

Great advice Rex! I definitely learned a lesson and will be taking down all the information in the future. Thanks for checking me out!