Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Big Day Tomorrow…

Tomorrow is a big day for me. I finally get sworn in and officially become an attorney. My license will actually be in my hands. To say that I am excited is an understatement. I am overjoyed and relieved to reach this milestone. I received three tickets for guests to attend the ceremony and my mother, father and grandmother will all be in attendance. The decision was pretty easy. These are the people who have guided my way and provided me with the opportunities that put me right where I am today.

My 84-year old grandmother could never have dreamed of accomplishing my goal of becoming an attorney. The opportunities simply weren’t available. Being an African American woman has always shaped who I am and guided me in important life decisions. I recall having a conversation with my mother when I was in high school. She asked me what I wanted to do with my life and if I had any idea where I wanted to attend college. After telling her that I had no idea, she paused and told me something that I will always remember and take with me for the rest of my life. She said, “When I was growing up we basically had two choices, to be a teacher or a secretary. You have more opportunities than we did. Always make sure you have options.” My mother was a teacher and the very first person in our family to graduate from college.

I have a responsibility to make something of myself, to give back and to do better. I also have a responsibility to help others and to do my party to prepare the next generation to do even better.

5 comments:

SavingDiva said...

Congratulations! This is a big day! It's great that your family can be there to support you.

VixenOnABudget said...

Congratulations are in order.

Anonymous said...

congratulations! you've worked so hard for this moment, savor it for as long as you can.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!