Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I Want a New Couch…

I really want a new couch for my place but I can’t afford one. Right now, I am using my futon that my mom bought for me 8 years ago for my college apartment. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a really nice futon…very sturdy, made of wood, and it has an expensive spring mattress. It’s just not the most comfortable to sit on for long periods of time because it is angled and it’s not convenient and ample enough for entertaining. It’s expensive to always go out. Sometimes I just want to invite people over but I feel like I don’t have enough sitting space.

My 30th birthday is quickly approaching and I would like to host my birthday party but I am a tad bit embarrassed about how minimal everything is in my place. My best friend offered to allow me to have my party at her home but I don’t want to impose. Of course, I can’t just want any couch. Like Nate Berkus says, a couch is a long-term investment and you should really search and find the right one for you. Well, I have and I want the Manhattan Leather Couch from Pottery Barn that would cost me my arm, leg and first born child. My goodness everything is so expensive. Once I get my law position, I will consider the couch purchase. Until then, my futon will have to do.

I keep thinking, NO CREDIT CARD DEBT, NO CREDIT CARD DEBT, NO CREDIT CARD DEBT!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered dumpster diving or Craigslist shopping? I've heard dd leads to a lot of great finds in the city, and I know CL features new stuff all the time.

Best wishes!

Chitown said...

GG,

I haven't checked those sites but I am definitely going to take a look. Thank you!

SavingDiva said...

freecycle is also an option

Escape Brooklyn said...

I agree about Craigslist - I found some great buys for my apartment that way. Just search with "Pottery Barn" in the description and if anyone's selling what you're after, it should come up.

Also, I know Ikea is cheesy but they do have some good deals. I've had an Ikea couch for 5 years now and it's probably the only thing I didn't replace when I redecorated my apartment. I just change the cover's color.

My only concern with the dumpster diving option (and I've certainly picked up my fair share of stuff off the street) is with the bedbug issue. At least in NYC. =O

Shannon said...

I had a similar futon situation. I got one of those inexpensive mattress pads, and bought a duvet cover to go over the mattress and pad. The whole thing was less than $50 and it was like a whole new futon!

Anonymous said...

Did you know Pottery Barn has a 40% employee discount (20% on clearance items)? My sister works there part time (1 or 2 4-6 hour shifts/week) and gets this awesome discount. She just bought her first home and is using her discount to furnish and decorate it. With the holidays coming up, they might be looking to hire, if you have the time/energy to work a second job for a little bit.