Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Financial Ratios…

Money $mart Life has a terrific post called Stop Comparing Your Finances to Others. Five Ratios to Keep You on Track.

I know that I often read PF Blogs and compare myself to others. For a while, I just read PF Blogs because I was too afraid and ashamed to start my own. While my financial condition has deteriorated since starting my blog, I’ve learned a lot and I know that my financial condition is going to improve with focus and hard work. The following ratios are a good measure for determining if you are on track and living within your means and they will also highlight some room for improvement.

Here are the ratios and how I stack up:

Liquidity Ratio
Formula: Liquid Assets / Monthly Expenses
Target: 3-6 months
Me: $9,000 / $5,000 = 1.8 months (expense is based on emergency scenario)

Housing Payment Ratio
Formula: Monthly Housing Costs / Monthly Gross Income
Target: Less than 28%
Me: $1,100 / $4,500 = 24% (33% with utilities)

Solvency Ratio
Formula: Total Assets / Total Debt
Target: Greater than 1.0
Me: $208,980 / $301,330 = 0.69

Savings Ratio
Formula: Savings per Year / Annual Gross Income
Target: 8-25% depending on age
Me: $2,700 / $54,000 = 5% (10% with company match)

Debt to Income Ratio
Formula: Annual Debt Payment / Annual Gross Income
Target: Less than or equal to 30%
Me: $20,400 / $54,000 = 38% (Student Loans and CC/HELOC Refi)

*** Definitely some room for improvement. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you ran across the article, it's even cooler that you recorded it on your blog. Now you can check back in 6 to 12 months from today and see how you're doing.

Anonymous said...

Nice one. Just wanted to share an article on Ratio Analysis. Not sure if it would be helpful further as of now but will become good reference.

Ratio Analysis